Sunday nights are always good for family favourites- and Chicken Fajitas has been recently reintroduced onto this list. This chicken Fajitas recipe actually comes from Alex's bachelor days, was forgotten for a number of years, and it was only when an old friend of his came around that they were rediscovered. I have also slightly amended the 'manly' recipe to make it a little more interesting and healthy.
Hope you enjoy!
Step number one- gather your ingredients. Now I know that you might have issues with using packet seasonings. I do too. But, the fajita seasoning mix tasted pretty good, so I gave in. You could make your own by throwing in a heap of ground cumin, coriander, paprika, chilli together and see what comes of it!
Dice two onions up, two cloves of garlic and cut two chicken breasts up into small pieces. I think not too small is better, keeps the chicken juicier. And who can resist juicy chicken.
After a few minutes, squeeze some lemon juice on for some zing.
Now I know this photo looks really bad, but I promise refried beans are one of those amazing foods that looks like it belongs in a dog park, but tastes amazing. Heat half a can up in a small pot on low heat- it only takes a few minutes to be warm through. Or put it in the microwave.
Now time for the salsa. This was not in the original 'man' recipe, it only called for some sliced capsicum. I think the salsa version is much more fun. And tasty. And classy. But you do with what you have! You could also make this step into a guacamole if you have a ripe avocado.
Make sure you keep turning the chicken every few minutes while you're busy doing the salsa! It should be looking almost done by now.
2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 brown onion, diced
1 packet fajita spice mix
1 lemon, juiced
1 tin refried beans
1 red capsicum
1/2 red onion, very finely diced
Mexican salsa sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Mix the chicken, minced garlic, diced brown onion and the fajita mix in a bowl.
2. Heat oil up in a saucepan to medium high heat, add chicken mix, and remember to stir every few minutes. Splash some lemon juice on top and mix in. This will take about 10-15 minutes to cook.
3. Heat the refried beans up in a smaller saucepan, or in the microwave
4. Dice up capsicum, tomato, red onion, parsley, Mix in together in a bowl, along with some lemon juice. This is your salsa.
5. To assemble: heat tortilla up in microwave for 10 seconds. Put sour cream and refried beans on first, then add chicken, fresh salsa, cheese, bottle sauce salsa, wrap up and eat!
This recipe serves 2-3. You can always add more chicken for more people.