I am very excited to have pulled-pork leftovers from last night, as it tastes about 10 times better with an extra day to steep in the barbeque sauce. So to match my even tastier pulled pork, I thought I would try my hand at some fresh tortillas. And I discovered they are extremely easy, and much tastier than what you can buy in a packet in the supermarket! It just takes a few minutes to roll them out, and some elbow grease with the rolling pin. It's actually quite therapeutic.
Start with 1 and 3/4 cups of plain flour. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder.
Pour in 1/4 cup oil
...rice bran oil. My favourite when you can't use olive oil.
Then half a cup of boiling water. And that's it for your ingredients! Easy.
Stir it around until it starts clumping together.
Then you have to get your hands dirty, and start kneading away.
Punch it, push it, knead it around for about 3 minutes.
Place it back in the bowl, and cover it to sit for 15 minutes. Mine sat for 45 minutes while I went for a walk and it did no harm.
After your walk, place a big flat pan on the stove to heat up over medium heat, then lower the heat down while you're cooking the tortillas. The heavier the base of your frypan, more often than not it will cook more evenly. Don't add any oil! It doesn't need it.
Then it's time to start rolling them out. Spread some flour onto a board.
Get your dough out
Divide it in two.
Then divide those in two again
and then in half again so you have 8 pieces.
Take one of the balls, a big rolling pin, and start to flatten it out.
Roll it around. Keep turning the dough around as you work the rolling pin towards the outside.
Keep rolling until it's really thin- no more than 1-2mm.
And about 20 cm wide.
Throw it on your nice hot pan
After 15 seconds you'll see some bubbles popping up.
And at 30 seconds it's ready to be flipped over!
(now is a good time to keep rolling out your other pieces of dough).
Another 20 seconds on the back side and it's done!
Put it on a plate and keep on rolling out and cooking the rest of them.
Here's my big stack of 8 all done.
And here it is with my beautiful leftover pulled pork, fresh salsa and cheese. Even better than last night!
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup rice bran oil
1/2 cup hot water
Extra flour for rolling.
1. Mix flour salt and baking powder together in a bowl. Add oil and water, then mix together.
2. Knead with your hand for 3-5 minutes into a ball, then leave it to sit, covered with a tea towel for at least 15 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into 8 pieces (break dough in half, then half, then half again).
4. Roll each small ball of dough out onto a floured surface, until they are very thin (1-2mm).
5. Heat a large frypan to medium heat (no oil needed!), and place rolled out dough onto the pan to cook. Flip after 30 seconds when your tortilla is bubbling up, and cook the other side for a further 20 seconds.
6. Repeat until you have your stack of tortillas, fill them with something tasty (pulled pork, chicken fajitas), and eat!