Rustic homemade chips
The chips of my childhood were just ordinary potatoes sliced up longways, thrown in the oven with some olive oil, and often not quite baked enough. This was usually my fault as the fish that matched was always finished first, and I did not have any intention of waiting for the chips to be properly cooked before devouring.
Start with some baby cream delight potatoes. These are a little bigger than baby chat ones (I found them in a bag in the supermarket. Shouldn't be too hard to find!)
I used about 6 which provided big servings for 2 people.
I have made this with your usual red skinned desiree potato, but found the little baby cream delight ones end up fluffier inside. Definitely a bonus.
Before we get to doing anything with the potatoes though- make sure your oven in on to about 190 degrees c. Find a big baking tray, splash about 3 tablespoons of olive oil onto it, then place it in the oven to heat up.
Now we can start with the potatoes. Slice them long ways in half. Then with each half cut that into 3 or 4 pieces (no more than 2 cm wide). This will give you some perfectly sized chips.
Once all your potatoes are cut up, find a bowl, and throw in half a cup of plain flour
Season the flour with a good big grind of pepper
And a little grind of salt.
And pop your potatoes in!
Start to toss them like a salad, making sure each side of the potatoes is properly coated in flour.
Now time to pull your tray from the oven. Don't burn yourself (note to self). See how runny the oil has become? Tip the pan up a little to make sure the oil is fully covering the bottom of the baking dish.
Then tip your potatoes into the pan. Give them enough room to become crisp- which means only one layer, and not jammed in too tightly.
Pop them in the oven for about 50 minutes!
After 30 minutes they will start looking nice and golden.
This is the perfect time to flip them over, before placing them in for the remaining 20.
50 minutes might not work for your oven, so just watch them until they're beautiful and golden all over.
This is what they should look like. Take them out of the oven
And place in a little bowl to serve. You could even whip up some homemade bbq sauce to match.
Rustic homemade chips
6 baby cream delight potatoes. (2-3 potatoes per person, depending on serving size, and size of potatoes). Can also use other potatoes.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup plain flour
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees c.
2. Throw the oil into a baking tray, and place in the oven to heat up while you're preparing the chips.
3. Slice the potatoes in half longways, and then slice each half into 3 or 4 pieces.
4. Place flour in a bowl, add pepper and a little salt to taste.
5. Toss the potatoes into the flour mixture, making sure each side is coated.
6. Take baking tray out of oven. Make sure oil is spread across the tray. Place potatoes on the tray, making sure they are only in one layer.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn the chips over, and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until golden brown and fluffy on the inside.
(I think this is the shortest recipe I've posted.)